adapted from Elise Bauer's version on SimplyRecipes.com
1 1/2lbs. chuck beef stew meat
1T sea salt
3 garlic cloves
6 cups beef broth
1 can Guinness Extra Stout
1 1/2c red wine
3T tomato paste
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1 T Worcestershire sauce
8 medium potatoes (peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes)
2 large onions (peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces)
7 large carrots (peeled and chopped into thin bite sized pieces)
3 large celery stalks (chopped into thin bite sized pieces)
1. Peel and chop the potatoes, celery and carrots while 1T of olive oil is heating in a pan over medium heat.
2. Add the chuck meat and brown on all sides. Remove from heat and put to the side.
3. Add 2T olive oil to the pan and sauté the potatoes, celery and onion. Slowly add the thyme, garlic, basil and sea salt. Toss the vegetables and Worcestershire sauce.
4. Add the beef broth, red wine and Guinness and bring to a soft rolling boil for 5-10 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid for one hour.
5. Ladle into 6 bowls and serve with fresh parsley.
Leave a comment